Petitgrain has a variety of historical uses supported by emerging scientific evidence.
Petitgrain essential oil is derived from the bitter orange tree, which has a long history of use in traditional health practices. Historically, Petitgrain essential oil has been used for cleaning purposes and it has been used internally to support healthy immune system and nervous system function.* Emerging scientific evidence provides support for these traditional and other uses.
There are three essential oils derived from the bitter orange tree. Petitgrain oil is distilled from the leaves and twigs of the tree, Neroli essential oil is distilled from the blossoms, and Bitter Orange oil is produced by cold pressing the rinds of the fruits. Petitgrain essential oil is widely used in the perfume industry, giving body sprays, fragrances, lotions, and colognes a fresh, herbaceous note that is popular among both women and men.
By sourcing Petitgrain oil from Paraguay through our Co-Impact Sourcing® initiative, doTERRA is able to support needed rural community development projects and provide diversified income for small-scale farmers. This approach provides an economically viable alternative to clear-cutting land, dramatically helping to protect the remaining patches of the Atlantic Rainforest in eastern Paraguay.
- Diffuse for a calming and relaxing aroma. Blends well with other citrus oils, Cassia, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Geranium, and Lemongrass.
- Take internally to help ease feelings of tension, help calm the nervous system, and promote restful sleep.*
- Before going to bed, add a few drops of Petitgrain oil along with Lavender or Bergamot to pillows and bedding for its aromatic benefits.
- Add one to two drops to water or juice and drink to help support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, nervous, and digestive systems.*
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
This oil is Kosher certified.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
- May help support healthy cardiovascular and immune function when used internally*
- Provides powerful internal antioxidant support*
- Internal use may help promote a restful sleep*
Fresh, floral, slightly herbaceous
Linalyl acetate, linalool, alpha-terpineol
Petitgrain offers exceptional internal benefits including antioxidant support, and promoting the health of the cardiovascular, immune, digestive, and nervous systems.* Its clean and fresh aroma delivers calming and relaxing benefits, easing feelings of tension and stress.
- Diffuse for a relaxing and calming effect on emotions.
- Take internally to help calm the nervous system and promote restful sleep.*
- Rub a drop of Petitgrain together with Lavender or Bergamot and fractionated coconut oil to the bottoms of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation.
- Take one or two drops in water or juice to support cardiovascular, immune, nervous, and digestive systems.*
What Is Petitgrain Good For?
Petitgrain essential oil is often referred to as “Lavender for men.” It provides many of the same benefits, but has a fresh, herbaceous aroma that is popular among men and women. Petitgrain helps enhance other fragrances, making it a common ingredient in the perfume and cologne industry.
Historically, Petitgrain essential oil has been used to clean surfaces, and to support healthy immune system and nervous system function when used internally.* Emerging scientific evidence is providing support for these traditional and other uses.
What Else is Petitgrain Essential Oil Used For?
Petitgrain contains the chemical constituents linalool and linalyl acetate, both of which are known for their calming properties. Taken internally, Petitgrain may help to calm and soothe the nervous system.* It also has a calming aroma that can help reduce anxious or tense feelings when inhaled. Diffusing Petitgrain before bed promotes feelings of calmness and relaxation. Experimental research suggests that Petitgrain helps to promote healthy relaxation and sleep when consumed internally.*
The benefits of Petitgrain are not limited to the nervous system, however.* Taken internally, Petitgrain helps support the health of the cardiovascular, immune, and digestive systems.* It also provides antioxidant support.*
Petitgrain has powerful surface cleansing properties. Add to a spray bottle of water and use as a fresh-scented surface cleaner.
Where Does Petitgrain Oil Come From?
The essential oil is distilled from the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange tree. doTERRA Petitgrain is sourced from Paraguay through the Co-Impact Sourcing® initiative. By supporting rural development projects and small-scale farmers, doTERRA provides an economically viable alternative to clear-cutting land. This helps protect the remaining patches of the Atlantic Rainforest in eastern Paraguay from deforestation.