Through a collaborative sourcing initiative in Guatemala, doTERRA retrieves high quality Cardamom seeds which are distilled into Cardamom essential oil that can assist with gastrointestinal and respiratory health when ingested.
A close relative to Ginger, Cardamom is known as an expensive cooking spice and for being beneficial to the digestive system in a variety of ways when ingested.* Cardamom is commonly used internally to help soothe occasional stomach discomfort.* Its distinct scent can promote a positive atmosphere. Ingested Cardamom also has profound effects on the respiratory system due to its high 1,8-cineole content, which promotes clear breathing and respiratory health.* Native to Southeast Asia, Cardamom is added to traditional Indian sweets and teas for its cool, minty aroma and flavor. doTERRA Cardamom essential oil is extracted from Cardamom seeds grown in Guatemala, using our strict CPTG® testing standards. Through a collaborative and responsible sourcing arrangement, we are able to have a significant impact on the lives of local partners, ensuring that these farming communities enjoy improved livelihoods.
- Use internally as part of a daily health regimen to support healthy gastrointestinal function.*
- Add to bread, smoothies, meats, and salads to enhance food flavor.
- Diffuse or inhale for a sense of openness.
Directions for Use
Aromatic use: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
- May help maintain overall gastrointestinal health when taken internally*
- May soothe the digestive system when used internally†
- Promotes clear breathing and respiratory health when consumed†
- Offers a distinct flavor
Spicy, fruity, warm, balsamic
α-Terpinyl acetate, linalyl acetate, 1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
Valued worldwide as a spice for its flavor, Cardamom provides an essential oil that can aid digestion and respiratory function.* It is also cooling to the mood and skin.
- Add Cardamom to your cooking and baking for delicious twist on taste and a boost to the wellness of the digestive and respiratory systems.*
- Diffuse or breathe in from your hands for a sense of openness and refreshed feelings—this will also promote the feeling of clear airways and easy breathing.
- Take a drop or two internally after over-indulging at dinner.*
- For a cooling sensation to the skin, apply topically.
- Diffuse in the mornings or on cold days for a warm aroma that is both spicy and sweet.
What Is Cardamom?
Cardamom, a relative to Ginger, is known as the “Queen of Spices.” It is used in cooking around the world. From the East, to the Middle East, to Scandanavia, cardamom is used in a variety of dishes. In addition to its popular flavor, Cardamom essential oil provides a variety of benefits to health and wellness, especially digestive health.*
What Are the Health Benefits of Cardamom?
Taken internally, Cardamom improves healthy gastrointestinal function.* It can alleviate occasional feelings of stomach discomfort, and may help ease indigestion.* Adding Cardamom to bread, smoothies, meats, salads, teas, and more will not only enhance food flavor, but aid digestion and maintain overall gastrointestinal health.*
Due to its high 1,8-cineole content, Cardamom also promotes clear breathing and respiratory health.* Try taking a drop of Cardamom internally to promote easy breathing.* In addition to its respiratory benefits,* diffusing Cardamom has calming aromatic effects. Cardamom’s distinct scent carries warm balsamic tones with a spicy sweetness. It soothes the nervous system* and promotes a positive mood.
The soothing quality of Cardamom applies not just to emotions, but to the skin as well. Cardamom leaves a cool, refreshed sensation when administered topically. Dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil to avoid skin irritation or sensitivity.
Where Does Cardamom Come From?
doTERRA Cardamom essential oil is sourced in Guatemala through Co-Impact Sourcing®. The seed of the plant is steam distilled, producing this versatile, treasured essential oil.