This essential oil from the native Canadian Arborvitae tree acts as a powerful cleansing agent, while providing a warm, earthy aroma.
Known as the “tree of life,” Arborvitae is majestic in size and abundant in unique benefits. Our Arborvitae essential oil is sourced from the heartwood of the Thuja plicata tree. It is also known as Western Red Cedar and is native to North America (primarily Canada and the Northwestern United States). This unique source of Arborvitae essential oil contains a distinct chemical profile and is uniquely concentrated in methyl thujate. The sourcing arrangements for Arborvitae oil are done in an innovative, environmentally responsible way through distillation of residual wood materials to ensure no trees are unnecessarily harvested for production.
Native to Canada, all parts of the Arborvitae tree were used extensively by Native Americans for health benefits and for building vessels, totem poles, baskets, and clothing.
- Add a few drops of Arborvitae oil to a spray bottle with water and spray on surfaces or hands for a quick DIY cleaner.
- Apply to wrists and ankles while hiking.
- Diffuse to freshen the air.
- Mix 4 drops of Arborvitae essential oil and 2 drops of Lemon essential oil for a wood polish.
- Use during meditation for a sense of peace and calm.
Directions for Use
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
Warm and woody, Arborvitae essential oil is used in meditation practices for its calming aroma. The arborvitae tree provides an essential oil with cleansing properties. Arborvitae oil assists with skincare and can be used to help polish wood furniture.
- For a natural purifier and cleaner, add a few drops of Arborvitae and Lemon essential oils to a spray bottle with water.
- Try a DIY facial mask by adding one or two drops each of Arborvitae and Bergamot essential oils to a tablespoon of raw honey. Apply facial mask by rubbing it gently into the skin. After 5–15 minutes, wash the mask off with warm water and washcloth.
- Apply Arborvitae essential oil to the skin to reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Apply to wrists and ankles while hiking.
- Diffuse during meditation or apply to your pulse points for a sense of peace and calm.
What Is Arborvitae?
An arborvitae tree can live for hundreds of years. In Latin, arborvitae means “tree of life,” so named for its health benefits and usefulness as a building material. The arborvitae, or Western Red Cedar, is native to North America and is related to the giant Redwood trees that flourish in the Pacific Northwest. Arborvitae essential oil is steam distilled from the aromatic wood of these evergreen trees. doTERRA Arborvitae essential oil is sourced from Canada—its chemical composition contains a unique concentration of methyl thujate and carries a robust, woodsy scent.
What Is Arborvitae Essential Oil Used For?
Due to its high concentration of tropolones, a group of chemical compounds, Arborvitae protects against environmental and seasonal threats. Diffuse Arborvitae to purify the air. When applied topically, it promotes clear, healthy looking skin and can reduce the appearance of blemishes.
Additionally, Arborvitae essential oil provides emotional benefits. It is simultaneously stimulating and grounding. It can help bring a sense of invigorated composure and awareness. This makes it an appealing option for diffusing during meditation or for creating a state of mindfulness.
How Has Arborvitae Been Used Historically?
Historically, Native Americans used the arborvitae tree for many practical purposes. The wood was used for building vessels, totem poles, and homes. The roots and bark could be used to make other items like baskets, rope, and twine. The Western Red Cedar was ideal for these kinds of projects due to its chemical makeup and natural preservative properties that protect the tree from damage.These same properties contribute to the wonderful benefits of Arborvitae essential oil.