Douglas Fir Oil
Sourced from young trees in New Zealand, Douglas Fir oil has a refreshing, airy aroma and can cleanse the skin when used topically.
Douglas Fir is a conifer that grows natively throughout North America. This tall, evergreen fir tree is frequently used in the Christmas tree industry and has a lemon-scented note that’s sweet and refreshing. doTERRA Douglas Fir essential oil is sustainably sourced from young trees in New Zealand, where it is a highly invasive species threatening the country’s ecosystem. By harvesting young Douglas Fir trees and using them for essential oil, doTERRA is helping combat the environmental impact of the trees overtaking the land while providing a premium conifer essential oil. Douglas Fir has a unique chemical composition that’s particularly rich in β-pinene, contributing to its ability to encourage an optimistic and stimulating environment. Douglas Fir can also be used to purify the skin and surfaces. Blending Douglas Fir with citrus oils will create an uplifting environment while freshening the air.
- Diffuse to freshen the air.
- Add one drop to facial cleanser, bar soap, or body wash for added cleansing benefits.
- Rub into hands and inhale deeply for an inspiring aroma.
- Combine with carrier oil for a relaxing massage experience.
Directions For Use
Aromatic use: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of choice.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.
- Cleanses and purifies skin
- Creates positive and inspiring surroundings
- Provides a refreshing, airy aroma
Clean, fresh, woody, airy
β-pinene, α-pinene, δ-3-carene, sabinene
- For a DIY surface cleaner, add several drops of Douglas Fir, Lemon, and Wild Orange to a spray bottle with water.
- Rub a few drops of Douglas Fir with Eucalyptus or doTERRA Breathe® on the chest and inhale from the hands to help open airways and easy breathing.
- Add a few drops to your facial cleanser for an invigorating aroma and boosted purifying benefits.
- Combine with Wintergreen—be sure to dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil—for a soothing and refreshing massage.
- Purify the air and support your mood by diffusing Douglas Fir. See the main text below for several suggestions of diffusion blends to try.
What Is Douglas Fir?
Douglas firs are familiar to many people, as they are frequently used for Christmas trees, but these conifers offer many benefits beyond holiday cheer. The unique chemical profile of Douglas Fir essential oil makes it stand out among other fir oils.
The chemical constituents of Douglas Fir essential oil include sabinene and delta-3-carene, which are cleansing and purifying, and alpha-pinene, beta-pinene, and terpinolene, which are calming to the mind and promote uplifted feelings. Sabinene and alpha-pinene are also soothing to the skin. Delta-3-carene and alpha-pinene both help promote easy breathing.
Diffusing Douglas Fir essential oil purifies the air while simultaneously promoting clear airways. It can also be used to purify and cleanse the skin. These same cleansing properties of Douglas Fir essential oil can be accessed in the home as part of a safe and natural cleaning regimen.
What Blends Well with Douglas Fir Essential Oil?
Refreshing and uplifting, the scent of Douglas Fir combines well with many other oils. It calms feelings of anxiousness and supports relaxation, but it can also be used to enhance focus and positivity. Combine Douglas Fir with citrus oils for a blend that is uplifting and invigorating. Combine it with spicy oils like Cinnamon or Clove to create a warm blend. Pair it with a mint oil like Spearmint for a clean, sweet, refreshing smell. Blend with soothing oils like Roman Chamomile and Lavender for a relaxing experience and to enhance its calming effects.
The Douglas fir is native to North America, but doTERRA sources the essential oil in New Zealand where the tree is considered an invasive species. By harvesting the trees when they are young—5 to 7 years old—it prevents the trees from getting to an age where they produce cones, which would exacerbate the problem further. The essential oil from these young trees is also uniquely potent and refreshing. Partnering with New Zealand in their country’s environmental preservation efforts provides a beautiful essential oil from what otherwise would have been a waste product.